Aspects are the basics for all of Thaumcraft 4's resources. Essentia and Vis are both different forms of aspects. Aspect can be used for researching new Thaumonomicon entries, create magical constructs,
"Every item, object, or creature is bound by varying mystical elements known as aspects. Aspects describe the objects makeup and bent toward the magical elements. Aspects describe the object's makeup and bent towards the magical elements. A simple stone may possess the aspect of Terra while more complex items like trees or even creatures can be made up of various different aspects in varying amounts. There are close to 50 known aspects with more being discovered all the time."
"Primal Aspects are the most basic types of aspects and there are only six of them: Aer (air), Terra (earth), Ignis (fire), Aqua (water), Ordo (order), and Perditio (entropy).
These form the basic building blocks of all other aspects.
"Compound Aspects are built from two other aspects. The simplest compound aspects are made from two primal aspect, but it is possible to have incredibly complex compound aspects made from successive layers of simpler aspects.
"The simplest example of such a compound aspect, is the aspect of Victus (life) that is the combination of Terra and Aqua.
"To view what aspect an item possesses, simply hover your cursor over the item and press sneak (shift), and you will see what aspects that item has and what amounts of each. You will first need to study the item however, until then the aspects will remain unknown.
"Aspects that have somehow been separated from their object and purified is known as Vis and is very valuable: both as a crafting ingredient and as a subject for magical research.
Thaumcraft 4 AspectsEdit
Note: The list contains Aspects and combinations present in Thaumcraft 126.96.36.199 only. Aspects and combinations from the previous versions that are no longer in the latest stable build will not be listed for now. Any edits involving those will be undone. Aspects added by add-on mods are listed in a separate section.
This is a list of Thaumcraft 4 aspects.
Primal Aspects are the easiest to find; most Aura Nodes contain one or more Primal Aspect. Basic blocks like Dirt, Stone or Water consist of these Aspects while several other blocks and items include some too. They can be scanned with a Thaumometer from the start.
Compound Aspects are built from two other Aspects. They can be arranged in Tiers according to their components by this formula: Tier X Aspect contains one Tier (X-1) Aspect and one Tier (Y) Aspect where Y is a value ranging from X-1 to 0 (in this case, 0 means Primal Aspects). Example: Auram (Tier 3) builds from Praecantatio (Tier 2) and Aer (Primal Aspect). This also applies to scanning and Research; scanning objects containing Auram is therefore impossible without discovering Praecantatio first. Aer, on the other hand, wouldn't be a problem as it is a Primal Aspect.
- Aer (Air)
- Aqua (Water)
- Ignis (Fire)
- Ordo (Order, Regularity, Purity)
- Perditio (Entropy, Chaos, Destruction)
- Terra (Earth)
Tier 1 AspectsEdit
- Gelum (Ice, Frost, Cold) = Ignis + Perditio
- Legacy Recipe = Aqua + Ordo
- Lux (Light) = Aer + Ignis
- Motus (Motion, Animation) = Aer + Ordo
- Legacy Recipe = Aer + Aqua
- Potentia (Energy) = Ordo + Ignis
- Tempestas (Weather) = Aer + Aqua
- Vacuos (Void) = Aer + Perditio
- Victus (Life) = Aqua + Terra
- Vitreus (Crystal, Glass, Clear) = Terra + Ordo
- Legacy Recipe = Aqua + Saxum
- Saxum (Stone) = Removed
- Legacy Recipe = Terra + Terra
Tier 2 AspectsEdit
- Venenum (Poison) = Aqua + Perditio
- Legacy Recipe = Aqua + Mortuus
- Permutatio (Exchange, Barter) = Ordo + Perditio
- Legacy Recipe = Aqua + Motus
- Bestia (Beast) = Motus + Victus
- Fames (Hunger) = Victus + Vacuos
- Herba (Plant) = Victus + Terra
- Legacy Recipe = Terra + Granum
- Iter (Travel, Journey) = Motus + Terra
- Limus (Slime, Sticky) = Victus + Aqua
- Metallum (Metal) = Terra + Vitreus
- Legacy Recipe = Ordo + Saxum
- Mortuus (Death) = Victus + Perditio
- Praecantatio (Magic) = Vacuos + Potentia
- Sano (Heal, Cure) = Victus + Ordo
- Legacy Recipe = Victus + Victus
- Tenebrae (Darkness) = Vacuos + Lux
- Vinculum (Trap, Imprison) = Motus + Perditio
- Volatus (Flight) = Aer + Motus
- Grannum (Seed, Young) = Removed
- Legacy Recipe: Ordo + Victus
Tier 3 AspectsEdit
- Alienis (Alien, Strange, The Eldritch) = Vacuos + Tenebrae
- Arbor (Tree, Wood) = Aer + Herba
- Legacy Recipe = Terra + Herba
- Auram (Aura) = Praecantatio + Aer
- Corpus (Flesh) = Mortuus + Bestia
- Exanimis (Undead) = Motus + Mortuus
- Spiritus (Soul) = Victus + Mortuus
- Vitium (Taint) = Praecantatio + Perditio
Tier 4 AspectsEdit
- Cognitio (Mind, Memory, Cognition) = Terra + Spiritus
- Sensus (Senses) = Aer + Spiritus
Tier 5 AspectsEdit
- Humanus (Man) = Cognitio + Bestia
Tier 6 AspectsEdit
- Instrumentum (Tool, Instrument) = Humanus + Ordo
- Legacy Recipe = Humanus + Metallum
- Lucrum (Greed, Avarice) = Humanus + Fames
- Messis (Crop) = Herba + Humanus
- Legacy Recipe = Humanus + Granum
- Perfodio (Mine) = Humanus + Terra
- Legacy Recipe = Humanus + Saxum
Tier 7 AspectsEdit
- Fabrico (Craft) = Humanus + Instrumentum
- Machina (Mechanism, Machine) = Motus + Instrumentum
- Meto (Harvest) = Messis + Instrumentum
- Legacy Recipe = Messis + Humanus
- Pannus (Cloth, Material, Covering) = Instrumentum + Bestia
- Telum (Weapon, Attack, Harm) = Instrumentum + Perditio
- Tutamen (Armor, Protection) = Instrumentum + Terra
Aspects added by other modsEdit
The add-on mods listed here may or may not work with the latest stable release of Thaumcraft.
- Exubitor (Warden, Vigilance, Victory, Sacrifice) = Alienis + Mortuus
- Superbia (Pride) = Volatus + Vacuos
- Luxuria (Lust) = Corpus + Fames
- Desidia (Sloth) = Vinculum + Spiritus
- Invidia (Envy) = Sensus + Fames
- Gula (Gluttony) = Fames + Fames
- Ira (Wrath) = Ignis + Telum
- Infernus (The Nether) = Ignis + Praecantatio